Sunday, 4 February 2007

Baby Lead Weaning is a NO SPOON, NO PUREE approach to weaning.

As the name suggests, your baby takes the lead in feeding themselves. "Real" food is offered to them and they control how much they eat.

My experience is of baby lead weaning my son who, until 24 weeks, had been exclusively breastfed. As such he is used to regulating the amount of food he takes. As with milk, there are days when he seems not overly bothered with food, and days when I am scrambling round the kitchen like a mad woman trying to find more food for my poor starved man!

The chip shaped bits of food as recommended by Gill Rapley are essential in the beginning, as babies do not seem to understand that the thing they are holding in their palm is also food. It doesn't take long however until they work out how to eat from their palm, and then I found it easier to give more foods.

I think this approach is a lot better than going the puree route for a number of reasons:

1. I feel more confident knowing that George can control food in his mouth

2. life really is too short to puree!

3. It is lovely to be able to sit and eat with your baby, not sit and shovel food into them, then eat your meal

4. It makes going out so easy, George has had food that we have bought in restaurants and cafe's a number of times. Had we gone the puree route he would have had to have had either cold food or a jar. (Restaurants will not re-heat home cooked food)

5. Fingers crossed we have, to date, had no refusal of food.

I can honestly say that deciding to go the baby lead weaning route has been one of the best parenting decisions I have made. I hope that has helped.

Love

Mel x

7 comments:

Jill said...

Hi Mel

Just wanted to say thanks for your personal views and experiences with blw. I have been reading up about it (although not much to read) and am really keen to do blw. It's really useful having these blogs to learn from.

Keep up the good work :)

Jill xx

Mel_x said...

Thanks Jill,

I pe you do well with the BLW, let me know how you get on!

love

Mel x

Rachel said...

Hey-- I was searching for sites on what to feed my little one- she is 6 months old now, and I had fed my other kids infant cereal and canned food (my others are 11, 10 and 9 years old) anyway, I wanted to do things differently this time-- I remember they didn't like the transition from pureed to chunky. I finally found Wikipedia explaining blw and then searched for that- hoping for a blog or something from another mother-- I am so glad your site came up!! you have been so detailed, it is great- I just got done reading your posts from last year and then in January-- I am so impressed!
Thanks for doing this!!

Mel_x said...

Hi Rachel,

I am so glad that you are finding it helpful - I can honestly say it has been one of my better decisions to do BLW - so much easier than my friends & their blenders - lol

Let me know how you get on won't you...

Mel x

Amber said...

what age do you start blw? did george have teeth? what foods did you use first?? i am verry interested in this way of weening, and will have probably many more questions..lol

Mel_x said...

Hi Amber

We started at 24 weeks, aiming for but not quite making the ellusive 26 weeks!

George had no teeth until about 11.5 months - little gums are very adapt at eating!

I remember ripe plum was 1st - with fruit & rice cakes involved along the way. Have a look at the archived bit of the blog, that is a better bet than my post pg brain! lol

Good luck, and ask as many questions as you like

Mel x

EzekielsMummy said...

Hi Mel,

Thanks so much for what you ahve put up on here about BLW theres not alot to read around but this has inspired me to try out BLW on my bubby boy Zeek. We started just the other day - he is 8 months old ( I didn't want him to start too early and he seemed happy with breastmilk. anyway we gave him some bannana he was keen till he tasted it the pulled the funniest faces - he hasn't eaten anything yet but we have given him bannana, apple and avocado. should we be only giving him 1 new food per 3 days or go ahead and give him appropriate food that we are eating?
Thanks
Kathleen